The Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) is the independent national regulator of charities. It was established in December 2013 and is responsible for registering charities seeking tax concessions in Australia and ongoing administration of charity registration requirements, including financial reporting. Churches can register as a charity through the ACNC.
The ACNC website includes a charity portal, allowing people to search for a charity to obtain basic information about them, including:
- Legal name
- ABN (Australian Business Number)
- Street Address
- Email address
- Registration status history
- Annual Reporting
- Governing Document (normally a constitution)
- Responsible Persons
In order to register a church as a charity under the ACNC, churches will need to hold an ABN, have a “Governing Document” (normally a constitution) and to have leaders of the church listed as “Responsible Persons”. This process can be done through the ACNC website.
The majority of our churches will be classified as a Basic Religious Charity under the ACNC which means that financial reporting is not a requirement.
To maintain a current registration status through the ACNC, churches need to lodge an Annual Information Statement (AIS) each year. We prepare a “How to” fact sheet each year to assist churches to complete these forms, which are available here on our website.
Completing Annual Information Statements (AIS) factsheets
- How to complete 2018 ACNC Annual Information Statement
- How to complete 2016 ACNC Annual Information Statement
- How to complete 2015 ACNC Annual Information Statement
- How to complete 2014 ACNC Annual Information Statement
- How to complete 2013 ACNC Annual Information Statement
If you have any questions relating to the ACNC, please contact Administrative Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 07 3354 5648.